Café des Stagiaires was built from what we learnt as interns ourselves. When you go on a placement we know how important it is to DO, not just watch. We pride ourselves on giving a 100 % Operational Internship, hands-on and practical. We’ve done our share of internships and we try to make your experience as useful to you as possible whilst encouraging you to have fun and experience one of the great cities in modern Asia.
At Café de Stagiaires we know how important it is for you to take on responsibility and see how business’ run. We feel that we truly allow our interns the chance to experience both. But don’t worry – we don’t judge too much. We know you’re here to learn. We know that learning means making some mistakes along the way. We just require commitment, flexibility, and an adventurous spirit. After all, it was this sense of adventure and risk-taking that helped us create Café des Stagiaires in the first place and we want that spirit in every intern who represents us.
If you choose to do your internship with us Great! We thrive on training and mentoring energetic and happy people. We welcome those with a great team ethic who can live in a vibrant community and put the café first. There are a few things you will need to consider before applying.
- Shanghai (and HK) are expensive cities. Although we’re in Asia, these are huge international centers of business and the cost of living will be higher than you expect, especially for socializing and going out.
- You have to be able to work and live in a diverse and dynamic community. Café des Stagiaires will help to find you a shared apartment usually with other interns. This can be one of the most rewarding experiences of the entire internship and will help you form friendships and bonds for a long time. However it is not for everyone. Not only will you be living with people you work with but you will be very far away from home. In Shanghai at times, it’s easy to forget that we are in China. This country has so much culture and history it can be confusing and overwhelming. However it is this history and the constant development here that make China one of the most energetic and alive places on the planet. Be prepared for a little culture shock and to work side by side with our out going and hard working Chinese staff.
- It is Café des Stagiaires policy not to pay it interns. We know that being a student is tough, believe us we’ve been there ourselves. However in China, due to it’s huge population, employment legislation is extremely strict. Only highly qualified people over a certain age are granted full working visas. That’s not to say there aren’t great opportunities here but for now interns must be prepared to come and learn without pay.
- We want people like us. We’re pretty proud of the business we’ve built. We want you to feel the same. We would like to inspire the next generation of young hospitality entrepreneurs. Nothing would give us greater pleasure than hearing from you in the future about some crazy idea that worked in some new and exciting place in the world. So consider carefully whether Café des Stagiaires is the place for you. We are not a giant chain of hotels or restaurants, that means you wont be following any one around watching them work but it also means we rely on you to make our café run. If your dream is to work for a large corporation think hard about whether we are right for you.
So if you’ve decided we are right for you here is how to apply.
- Send a PDF version of your CV or Resume with a Photograph and Covering Letter. Tell us about yourself. Tell us your aims and goals in life and tell us why you want to do your internship at Café de Stagiaires.
- After that we will contact you for a possible Skype interview. We will ask you some questions and give as much information as we can in the time allotted.
- Then if you decide you like us and we are satisfied that you are Café des Stagiaires type of person, we’ll invite you for, what we believe, is one of the best internship programs the world has to offer.